Groupon Engineering is committed to encouraging and developing women in the engineering profession. We recently hosted a Girl Geek Dinner at our Palo Alto office as one of the events kicking off our Women in Engineering initiatives for 2014. In the course of the evening, we shared some of the exciting engineering challenges we’re facing at Groupon.
Groupon Engineering and Women At Groupon will be partnering with Girl Develop It in our Chicago office for a series of courses introducing women to Web Development. Courses will be taught by Girl Develop It instructors and will kick off this week with the first event February 26.
Date: Wednesday, February 26, 6–8 p.m.
Location: Groupon at 600 W Chicago, 4th Floor in Hello Food
If you want to learn how to communicate better with your technical team or friends, this course is for you. Topics include but are not limited to:
- What is a web stack?
- What’s the difference between web development and web design?
- Where are web site files generally stored?
- What is the difference between a client and a server? Which programming languages are compiled on a server and which are compiled in a web browser?
- What do you need to know before building a web site? What language should you use and what are the differences?
- What tools do you need to develop a web site?
- Who does what on a typical web development team?
- What is Web 2.0 and the Cloud?
This class is for people with little or no technical experience. Bring a notepad, tablet or laptop to take notes and be prepared with questions.
If you are interested in attending this course, register on the Girl Develop It MeetUp page. When you arrive at Groupon, we will greet you at a table set up in the lobby, assist with registration and guide you to the classroom. Please bring a valid ID. We will be announcing further courses in the upcoming weeks. Stay tuned!